Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Designed the DMV

I'm sure there are about 4000 blogs out there dedicated to people's disgust/disdain for the DMV...but maybe now there will be 4001.

Basically someone decided a good thing to do would be to make a place where people could come and grow increasingly frustrated by a state-run organization. Remember when you first got your license? That was probably your only smile every cracked in one of these places.

I know our readership is global--so let me humor you briefly and explain why the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles stands out in my mind as a horrible place.

When you show up they give you a ticket with a number on it---not like the ticket you get at the deli counter or the clearly-marked ticket you get at a show or concert or sporting event...no this ticket is special.

It says: D109

Not 109...D109...

And the guy next to you had C436.

And the guy who forgot every form of acceptable ID and is complaining loudly next to you has B792.

And the woman who is breathing through her nose and creating a delightful whistling noise has K822. (Seriously! "K").

And the businessman who thinks he should be next in line regardless of what time he arrived has A110.

The way I see it is that someone was figuring out a way to piss people off and they came up with this lettering system. I guess the whole "lets count in order" thing didn't appeal to this person. I could see why 1...2...3...4... could get really confusing--good thing they cleared it up.

But I digress...so there we are clutching our little tickets and they're jumping all over the place.

"D108, now at Window 11"

"B763, now at Window 14"

"C900, now at Window 12"

Guess who is next, D109 right? Nope...lets go for A110...and that prick businessman gets served before me.

Hey...the person who designed this system: go f yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment